Skip to main content

TEEJAY (EP 6)


We started sharing looks during class.

I was taking strict pains to ensure no one suspected a thing. At this point, the least we needed was anyone trying to cause trouble.

I observed her when she looked away.

Her face was radiant; there was a smile there I hadn’t noticed, in all the time I had been crushing on her.

These days I was noticing the efforts she was making to look nicer. Her short curls were brushed into waves, and I thought I noticed a hint of gloss on those lips.

She turned back to give a wink, Mr Darko was shouting – the man was ballistic, someone had forgotten to write their index number on a test sheet again.


When the bell went for breakfast she made a show of arranging her books. From the corner of my eye I could see as she packed and unpacked her books thrice.

When Harry tapped my back, I cocked my head in her direction. 
He understood immediately, then pointed to his shoelaces.

“This will give you a better excuse.”

I went ahead to unclasp, and re-clasp the buckles on my sandals. Harry was a genius.


After forever, we were finally alone. I checked the door again to make sure.


We were sitting opposite each other, my gaze trained on her while she tried to avoid looking directly at me.

I lifted her chin, forcing her to look me in the eye.

She looked so vulnerable, and I was trying hard not to touch her any further.

She cleared her throat, and that brought me back to the present.

I started asking questions – careful to stay within her comfort zone – I didn’t want to scare her away before anything went down.

By the time the bell went for the end of breakfast, I was more in love with her than I believed possible, and I had parted with my favourite monogrammed handkerchief.

I was whipped. 

Note:
Since Teejay is a fictional character, I would like to dedicate this chapter to the amazing Harry Acquah Nunoo, aka Jay 12, alias the inspiration for this series.

This is for your birthday, dude. Enjoy your big shirts and your funny dress sense.
Happy belated birthday, Harry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Rest

Entering into a season of rest. These few weeks have been stressful; truth be told they have been a bit more than I can handle, and then some. I have walked away from relationships, left home, and tried this whole "Adulting" phase by myself.   It has NOT been easy, and constantly I am forced to consider the decisions I have made. All this change because I had lost my peace, had disappointed the people I loved, and thrown a wrench into the unit I called family.  I was beating myself up over mistakes I had made when I was much younger, and more stupid, and now I was learning that people do not forget, and that very few people forgive. I had walked away from my past, but it still followed, and nothing I could do could change the me people saw.   I was in dire need of peace. Rest from it all.   Suicide and depression were calling all 4 of my names, and God knows how many times I tottered over the edge of that cliff.   One Saturday I c...

CAROL (EP 5)

  Carol. She was light. She was fire and ice. She was sweet and spice... Harry looked up from the poem he was writing at a squinting Teejay. The guy was hovering over him like a cloud. These days it seemed he had something to share, but the moment Harry gave him his attention, he would lose all his nerve and walk away - mumbling some silly explanation. Harry cleared his throat. "Ehem…" He cocked an eyebrow at Teejay. "Y'know, you can tell me. If it's something bad I won't rat you out - well, it depends on how bad..." Harry saw he was rambling. "Look, tell me already! I'm your friend, and you don't see me hiding stuff from you?" The boy sighed, hoisted himself onto the bunk bed, then started. "I'm in love with Esinam"... ♡♡♡ The siren blared for the second time that day. One more lesson before breakfast. Carol was in a bubble. Last night at prep,...

The Blind Date (A Short Story)

  Our character, Sena "I want rice and chicken." Osei smiled. He had her right where he wanted her. Quickly he waved the waiter over. "Two plates of fried rice, with chicken, please" he flicked his finger, "Oh, and kindly add a bottle of your finest wine. For the fine lady here," He gave that Cheshire grin again. The waiter hurried away and Sena settled into her seat, maybe this wasn't such a bad idea after all.     A MERE FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER... She was fuming, wishing this night over already! When Maadjoa arranged this date, she'd been vague about the details. The guy was rich, good-looking, he was a fine conversationalist, "stuff like that," she'd said. She'd shrugged and gone back to the book she was reading. And here she was now, stuck with this, this ... pig! "Good-looking" had flown out the window the second their food arrived.     His lips were covered in...