Skip to main content

A new year!



I think I'm depressed. 


Today is the second day of January. In the year of our Lord, 2017. 


It takes some getting used to. Especially when the past year has stretched you so wide, your good experiences far in between, such that you never thought it would end. 


2017.





The year of the redeemed. The year of change. Increase. Transformation. Dubai. Project work. Boyfriend. Possible liberation. Freedom - if only you could call it that. 


2017.

In the wee hours leading to the break of the new year, I am in church. Along with a multitude that only appears on Easter, Christmas, and the famed 31st night. We are in white, sojourners crossing over into the Promised Land. 

Of regrets and retrogression, broken promises, dreams, failed resolutions and overstepped boundaries.



                          

For some, this is the year of the girlfriend. The year they'll finally be ripped and ready to ask "Wanna go on a date with me?"  


For Opana too ah, this is the year of "3y3. Mabr3. Nipa b3 y33 bi..." 


For me, this is the year I fight my eating disorder, self-arrange and let go of bad habits and addictions. 


Or so we thought. 

Our church lights dim and finally go out in anticipation of the countdown. The projector lights up the cathedral with the digits, fast paced, racing toward release. 


20, 19, 7, 4, 3, 2, 1. 


Happy New Year! <insert streamers and firecrackers>


Someone yanks my hand from behind and shakes it vigorously. An hour ago he was fast asleep. 


Me too I try to look fastidious, then attempt joy, then smile, and finally slump back into my depression. 
  


I once heard someone say on TV that silence, sometimes is a cry for help. I laughed at the oxymoron. I don't watch TV anymore. 



I'm wondering if anyone can see that I'm not excited, 


"Ah, is this your new year look?", "Are you sick? "


"No. I'm just really depressed.
 And tired. I want to sleep and never wake up again. This life is too much for me. I'm so... Alone." 


"Nah, I'm good. Happy New year!" here, take a hug and leave me alone.


Phone pings. Text message. 

Smile. Edit smile. I'm not smiling. Why am I lying?

"Happy New Year. Be new."
 

Come for a picture. 




*The flash on your night camera is too bright. I feel naked. Your raucous laughter is making me sick. Be happy, just not around me.
*Where can I find someone to have intelligent conversation with?*


Oh yeah, that guy. 

Enter. Repeat. 

I want to sleep. 


Mama, I miss you. Where are you?


Mind: Seriously? This is no time for weakness. She's dead. You're alone. Face it. 


Won't anyone talk to me? 


Fast forward: A day later. 

Holiday. Home. Sleep. Chores. I cut myself cleaning our gutter. Blood. Fascinates for about two seconds. Back to the matter. Wizkid is crooning in my ear. Maybe radio wasn't the best choice after all.



               


Sleep, more sleep. 


"So you won't bathe eh?" 


This cross is too heavy to bear. 


Side note; I'm sure if I made resolutions, I've already broken them. 



I can't stay.







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Rest

Entering into a season of rest. These few weeks have been stressful; truth be told they have been a bit more than I can handle, and then some. I have walked away from relationships, left home, and tried this whole "Adulting" phase by myself.   It has NOT been easy, and constantly I am forced to consider the decisions I have made. All this change because I had lost my peace, had disappointed the people I loved, and thrown a wrench into the unit I called family.  I was beating myself up over mistakes I had made when I was much younger, and more stupid, and now I was learning that people do not forget, and that very few people forgive. I had walked away from my past, but it still followed, and nothing I could do could change the me people saw.   I was in dire need of peace. Rest from it all.   Suicide and depression were calling all 4 of my names, and God knows how many times I tottered over the edge of that cliff.   One Saturday I c...

JUST BREATHE...

I stew sometimes. Not like the familiar simmering and eventual bubble one is used to when it comes to the favoured term, stew. But more like an insipid flow that seems unlikely to have any direction at all, then finally bursts into resolution – then back down to a confused “ what was that about ?” My stewing has got to do with a lot of things – sometimes caused by interpersonal relationships, but more so my failure at navigating them successfully. I  stew; with nothing constructive in sight because my brain has the attention span of a puppy. Stewing for me seems less problematic than engaging people on the things that rub me off in the wrong way, and sometimes fights end more victoriously in your mind than they ever would in person. Just pure despair... I would love combat with the people I stew about, turning their rude quips and insults into whimpering cowardice once they realise I am not the one to mess with. But in my mind. Nobody has got the time to thr...

CAROL (EP 5)

  Carol. She was light. She was fire and ice. She was sweet and spice... Harry looked up from the poem he was writing at a squinting Teejay. The guy was hovering over him like a cloud. These days it seemed he had something to share, but the moment Harry gave him his attention, he would lose all his nerve and walk away - mumbling some silly explanation. Harry cleared his throat. "Ehem…" He cocked an eyebrow at Teejay. "Y'know, you can tell me. If it's something bad I won't rat you out - well, it depends on how bad..." Harry saw he was rambling. "Look, tell me already! I'm your friend, and you don't see me hiding stuff from you?" The boy sighed, hoisted himself onto the bunk bed, then started. "I'm in love with Esinam"... ♡♡♡ The siren blared for the second time that day. One more lesson before breakfast. Carol was in a bubble. Last night at prep,...