Skip to main content

Hey Wednesday...


Hey there. It’s another week to be great, to go out there and claim the goodness and the greatness that belongs to you. It’s a great new opportunity to go out and make something out of the day, out of your life, out of this week.
That soppy optimism aside, here’s what’s really happening. It’s Wednesday - barely the middle of the week and you might probably already be tired. Tired of working. Tired of thinking. Maybe even tired of breathing. 
Let’s not pretend for one second. Let’s not pretend we’re the bee’s knees for that second, or that the world is our oyster. Let’s embrace the pessimistic, the realistic, the cold hard… truth?
The world is broken. 
And we are flawed. Incredibly flawed at that.
“So now what?” you ask, 😏
You see, it’s not rainbows and unicorns all the time. But it is also fruitless labour to throw your hands in the air and claim death and despondence because the world is broken. Yes, your job sucks - but so does hunger. And your depression is killing you slowly - but fatal accidents are happening. Might not be the nicest thing, but some of these issues are the worst of quid pro quo.
I had the best day the last time. I got out of bed after having the best sleep I’ve had for the longest time. My skin was clear, I had a good healthy breakfast and I set to working. That also went splendidly well until it came time for lunch. I had inspiration to make myself some nice lunch, food I’d been craving for a while.
An hour later, my food was cooked and ready and I was just washing a plate to dish out some of that goodness when I slipped on the kitchen floor and sliced my palm open trying to grab on the edge of the sink for some balance. I fell anyway and my head fell along with it, hitting the tiled floor with a loud thump. I was dizzy for a while but tried to get up off the floor because I had knocked over a big jug of water and in my disoriented state was worried about it making a big mess. I didn’t even notice my palm was bleeding until I grabbed a mop to wipe the floor with.
Food forgotten, I came back to bed and tried to rest my now aching head. I don’t have a concussion and I’m pretty fine now - my palm is healing up rather nicely these days too.
Point of this (maybe pointless) story is, this is topsy turvy terrain. It’s not your fault that things aren’t dandy all the time. Even if you tried, the variables don’t always add up - and sometimes it could all be purely emotional. You don’t make the choices in this ecosystem and you certainly don’t have the final say in this grand scheme/plan.
“Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.” - Romans 15:13 KJV
So, do what you can and let the rest go. Rest when you need to, take a break from that stressful job when you need to (5 minutes can make a great difference. You don’t have to lose your job because you need a break) in that same vein - even if you do lose that job, you’ll find another. Just don’t take life so seriously. It’ll always find some twisted way to teach you a lesson. And in doing that, have hope.
That the bad days and the bad thoughts and the past will come, but you’ll be fine. Abound in the HOPE that strengthens you - such that even when you can’t get out of bed because of your depression, you’re able to shoot your friend that text to let her know you’re going to try again today. Hope is progress, in knowing that everything and sometimes nothing will work out, but progress anyway. That you won’t end up right where you started without learning a thing or two.

While you’re still trying to figure it out, read the Bible - one verse or two, leave your eyebrows alone (let it grow out) wash your face and wash your hair, cook some delicious food and try your hardest not to slip in the kitchen. Breathe. Affirm yourself. You are beautiful. You are kind. You are smart. And you are enough. It’s okay. Look at you looking like you’re looking. You’re doing well. You matter.


Comments

  1. Did I by any chance tell you what my lifehas been like lately? Because its all here. And thanks for reminding me of the hope I should keep

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Rest

Entering into a season of rest. These few weeks have been stressful; truth be told they have been a bit more than I can handle, and then some. I have walked away from relationships, left home, and tried this whole "Adulting" phase by myself.   It has NOT been easy, and constantly I am forced to consider the decisions I have made. All this change because I had lost my peace, had disappointed the people I loved, and thrown a wrench into the unit I called family.  I was beating myself up over mistakes I had made when I was much younger, and more stupid, and now I was learning that people do not forget, and that very few people forgive. I had walked away from my past, but it still followed, and nothing I could do could change the me people saw.   I was in dire need of peace. Rest from it all.   Suicide and depression were calling all 4 of my names, and God knows how many times I tottered over the edge of that cliff.   One Saturday I c...

CAROL (EP 5)

  Carol. She was light. She was fire and ice. She was sweet and spice... Harry looked up from the poem he was writing at a squinting Teejay. The guy was hovering over him like a cloud. These days it seemed he had something to share, but the moment Harry gave him his attention, he would lose all his nerve and walk away - mumbling some silly explanation. Harry cleared his throat. "Ehem…" He cocked an eyebrow at Teejay. "Y'know, you can tell me. If it's something bad I won't rat you out - well, it depends on how bad..." Harry saw he was rambling. "Look, tell me already! I'm your friend, and you don't see me hiding stuff from you?" The boy sighed, hoisted himself onto the bunk bed, then started. "I'm in love with Esinam"... ♡♡♡ The siren blared for the second time that day. One more lesson before breakfast. Carol was in a bubble. Last night at prep,...

JUST BREATHE...

I stew sometimes. Not like the familiar simmering and eventual bubble one is used to when it comes to the favoured term, stew. But more like an insipid flow that seems unlikely to have any direction at all, then finally bursts into resolution – then back down to a confused “ what was that about ?” My stewing has got to do with a lot of things – sometimes caused by interpersonal relationships, but more so my failure at navigating them successfully. I  stew; with nothing constructive in sight because my brain has the attention span of a puppy. Stewing for me seems less problematic than engaging people on the things that rub me off in the wrong way, and sometimes fights end more victoriously in your mind than they ever would in person. Just pure despair... I would love combat with the people I stew about, turning their rude quips and insults into whimpering cowardice once they realise I am not the one to mess with. But in my mind. Nobody has got the time to thr...