Skip to main content

VUVUZELA! (EP 3)








It was lights out.
The two seniors on duty, Ahadjie Christabel and Dan Asante, aka "Vuvuzela", stood in front of each dormitory block as suitable, and called out the instructions for the night.

"No one is stepping out tonight - the gates to each block are locked. Please stay inside until the waking bell tomorrow. And, the lights stay off until then!" that was the mild Christabel speaking.

"Anybro wey e dey figure say he get beard make he try say he go lef the campus this gb3k3 eh! Dey inside, make you no make noise kraa." He cleared his throat.

"Dem boys wey dey tinup dawnty go dey spy chicks as them dey bath, you like ah try am again!" His loud baritone rang out.

He wasn't called "Vuvuzela" for nothing. He'd established his identity by being a grade A snitch, and he didn't try to hide it.

The name however, had stuck after a Form 2 boy called him that in a fit of anger.

This enterprising young boy from Kumasi was a "hustler" who had been making a fortune selling Nike knock-offs to the others.

These went a long way to impress the girls and had changed many a boy's life.

Besides, they all knew those shoes were knock-offs anyways. How else would they be so cheap?


Senior Dan had made his way to the Assistant House Master and worked the story so hard that it was presented as though the shoes the poor boy sold were stolen. He got 4 weeks external suspension, after which he was required to sign a bond of good behaviour.

That night, the boy tackled him infront of the boys dormitory. After a few turns on the ground during which the Form 2 boy made sure to "take his 3 points", he'd risen to his feet, and in clear view of every boy on the block, landed Dan a square kick on the mouth.

"*Ob3ima wo di konkonsa. Ah! Wanu s3 vuvuzela wai. Kwasia mpanyin!"
Then off he went, to serve his 4 week suspension. He never returned.

As for Senior Dan, the story had made sufficient rounds by morning, and his reputation had been mapped out in stone.
                                                

                                                              ***
The boys in Jay House, Dorm 12 chuckled while "Vuvuzela" yelled his commandments.

Comments ranging from "that senior be funny wai" and "Brothers in the Lord, let us remember to say a word of prayer" were passed around as the Form One "goats" prepared to sleep.

Harry was one of them. Not a goat, but a fresher all the same.
He lay on his mattress, pondering over the day's activities.
Etse was a true friend, and after sharing one tin of 'Titus' sardines with him at dining, all was forgotten.

What he couldn't - wouldn't, forget though was the face of that girl.

Carol.

That face had been etched into his mind since the first day he saw her.

Orientation.

She was that type who seemed to think anything else apart from learning in the classroom was a waste of time. She'd kept checking the time on her small leather watch and looking around like she'd prefer Guatanamo Bay to being in the assembly hall, anytime.

What struck Harry most was her skin tone. She was caramel on legs, her curly hair - though cropped short - falling over her forehead. Her eyes were wide and far apart, her nose like a button, and her lips, God, her lips!

Harry turned on his bed to find Sammy, the boy on the next bed staring at him, his torchlight trained on Harry's forehead.

"Whose lips, Harry? Masa, if you no go sleep ah, make you no disturb others o."
Harry chuckled and turned the opposite way, his back to the nosy "*opete".

He planned to leave her a note.

When the class was over and they were packing up to disperse, he'd slyly slip a note into her book, asking her to meet him at the lover's bench behind Asamuje's bungalow.

They'd meet; realise they were made for each other and be a couple after Kim and Kanye's own heart.

Then that idiot man had to spoil it. That "aboa funu" of no consequence!

Harry was getting worked up - Mr. Tampa had set him back 4 more days - when they next had Physics class again.

He groaned.

Sammy piped up, "You kraa what dey wrong you? Keep quiet eh!"

Harry apologized and tried to force sleep. He was disturbed, after all.

Before he went to sleep though, a plan had hatched. He was going to let Carol know his feelings. The shy glances she had given him in class today were enough incentive.

He was a man on a mission.

Cethaurus: Opete - Twi for 'Vulture'. Also, insult.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Rest

Entering into a season of rest. These few weeks have been stressful; truth be told they have been a bit more than I can handle, and then some. I have walked away from relationships, left home, and tried this whole "Adulting" phase by myself.   It has NOT been easy, and constantly I am forced to consider the decisions I have made. All this change because I had lost my peace, had disappointed the people I loved, and thrown a wrench into the unit I called family.  I was beating myself up over mistakes I had made when I was much younger, and more stupid, and now I was learning that people do not forget, and that very few people forgive. I had walked away from my past, but it still followed, and nothing I could do could change the me people saw.   I was in dire need of peace. Rest from it all.   Suicide and depression were calling all 4 of my names, and God knows how many times I tottered over the edge of that cliff.   One Saturday I c...

JUST BREATHE...

I stew sometimes. Not like the familiar simmering and eventual bubble one is used to when it comes to the favoured term, stew. But more like an insipid flow that seems unlikely to have any direction at all, then finally bursts into resolution – then back down to a confused “ what was that about ?” My stewing has got to do with a lot of things – sometimes caused by interpersonal relationships, but more so my failure at navigating them successfully. I  stew; with nothing constructive in sight because my brain has the attention span of a puppy. Stewing for me seems less problematic than engaging people on the things that rub me off in the wrong way, and sometimes fights end more victoriously in your mind than they ever would in person. Just pure despair... I would love combat with the people I stew about, turning their rude quips and insults into whimpering cowardice once they realise I am not the one to mess with. But in my mind. Nobody has got the time to thr...

CAROL (EP 5)

  Carol. She was light. She was fire and ice. She was sweet and spice... Harry looked up from the poem he was writing at a squinting Teejay. The guy was hovering over him like a cloud. These days it seemed he had something to share, but the moment Harry gave him his attention, he would lose all his nerve and walk away - mumbling some silly explanation. Harry cleared his throat. "Ehem…" He cocked an eyebrow at Teejay. "Y'know, you can tell me. If it's something bad I won't rat you out - well, it depends on how bad..." Harry saw he was rambling. "Look, tell me already! I'm your friend, and you don't see me hiding stuff from you?" The boy sighed, hoisted himself onto the bunk bed, then started. "I'm in love with Esinam"... ♡♡♡ The siren blared for the second time that day. One more lesson before breakfast. Carol was in a bubble. Last night at prep,...