Skip to main content

BENDING TO BE CHOSEN: an ode to losing in friendship...

                            


Grieving something you’re not quite sure you’ve lost yet is a terrible kind of limbo…

I’ve always had a thing for “closure”

Not because it helps with healing -

Growing taught me not all wounds heal with whispered pleas or contrite knees

But maybe because I can be impossibly optimistic

with the people I love. 


I am kinder with my speech,

Bite my tongue on rebuke

Quell doubts with rose-coloured projections into the future,

I am “agreeable”

Slower to anger,

Able to bear much,

 Carry the weight of neglect.

Adjusting to convenience, 

White-knuckles from holding on,


I erect pedestals. 


Sometimes an end is an end. 

Whether it leaves trailing wisps of memory that land softly and tug at your heartstrings 

Or booming expressions of fickle love performed to dazzle. 

Sometimes an end is an end, 

When you are tired of a war not yet started

Arms stiffened from olive branches ignored,

Counting the possible cost of a singular casualty

Praying it not be you. 


Sometimes an end is an end

And bending over backwards, 

even if only to remind yourself of a love that now feels ephemeral,

Is a twisted wounding. 


You are grieving something you are not quite sure you have lost yet - look, here goes hope already. 

“stay the believer.

The lover,

The friend.”

But your spine creaks ominously.

Bending,

Bending,

Some more bending.

Until you break. 

» adjefa (2026)





It's been quite the while since my last blog post (2020) to be exact - and I'd almost forgotten how much of a release writing was - is, for me. This was a last ditch attempt to free my mind from some thoughts I'd been having and oh what melancholic release...

Here's a poem to hold my reluctance to act, to force me to look into the eyes of the conversations I fear, to demand more - not out of selfishness, but need. I also matter. And I won't break.
Thank you for reading 😊💜
Leave a comment for me if this resonates with you in any way.
- 
some of my love, adjefa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Rest

Entering into a season of rest. These few weeks have been stressful; truth be told they have been a bit more than I can handle, and then some. I have walked away from relationships, left home, and tried this whole "Adulting" phase by myself.   It has NOT been easy, and constantly I am forced to consider the decisions I have made. All this change because I had lost my peace, had disappointed the people I loved, and thrown a wrench into the unit I called family.  I was beating myself up over mistakes I had made when I was much younger, and more stupid, and now I was learning that people do not forget, and that very few people forgive. I had walked away from my past, but it still followed, and nothing I could do could change the me people saw.   I was in dire need of peace. Rest from it all.   Suicide and depression were calling all 4 of my names, and God knows how many times I tottered over the edge of that cliff.   One Saturday I c...

JUST BREATHE...

I stew sometimes. Not like the familiar simmering and eventual bubble one is used to when it comes to the favoured term, stew. But more like an insipid flow that seems unlikely to have any direction at all, then finally bursts into resolution – then back down to a confused “ what was that about ?” My stewing has got to do with a lot of things – sometimes caused by interpersonal relationships, but more so my failure at navigating them successfully. I  stew; with nothing constructive in sight because my brain has the attention span of a puppy. Stewing for me seems less problematic than engaging people on the things that rub me off in the wrong way, and sometimes fights end more victoriously in your mind than they ever would in person. Just pure despair... I would love combat with the people I stew about, turning their rude quips and insults into whimpering cowardice once they realise I am not the one to mess with. But in my mind. Nobody has got the time to thr...

CAROL (EP 5)

  Carol. She was light. She was fire and ice. She was sweet and spice... Harry looked up from the poem he was writing at a squinting Teejay. The guy was hovering over him like a cloud. These days it seemed he had something to share, but the moment Harry gave him his attention, he would lose all his nerve and walk away - mumbling some silly explanation. Harry cleared his throat. "Ehem…" He cocked an eyebrow at Teejay. "Y'know, you can tell me. If it's something bad I won't rat you out - well, it depends on how bad..." Harry saw he was rambling. "Look, tell me already! I'm your friend, and you don't see me hiding stuff from you?" The boy sighed, hoisted himself onto the bunk bed, then started. "I'm in love with Esinam"... ♡♡♡ The siren blared for the second time that day. One more lesson before breakfast. Carol was in a bubble. Last night at prep,...