Kitty Heaven


"One day we'll all be dead.

And the least of our problems will be global warming, or how much a Ferrari costs.


We won't be concerned about the different shades of the colour peach there are, and we most definitely won't give a hoot about who wins the La Liga.


No one would really care about oblivion anyway.


Because then, we'd be dead. And our souls; who knows?"

                                                       → Me





                                   

                                              
Mortality is a strange concept to me. It is either something I think about all the time, or none of the time. 

After losing both parents and an unborn sibling, it is a concept that tends to confuse me. 

It took a long time for me to get past the quiet others perceived as my indifference/ignorance to the death of my parents, to reach what became a constant thought, my own mortality/death  - that is.

Now though, I have a much more different approach to the idea, which is, my mortality is not of extreme importance in the grand scale of things. 

The thing that really counts; that really matters, is what I do with life as I know it now. As a Christian, my eternity has taken up more of my thoughts & in so doing, my actions.

I am still learning and working out the salvation as the Good book teaches, day by day, step by step.


This is an entry I made over four years ago, in retrospect somewhat of a desensitized view of what life and death meant to me at the time, yet one theme rang true - even then I believed that there was some work to do, and life really wasn't promised to us daily. 

Enjoy.


♡♡♡

One of my aunt's cats died today.


It was a little kitten, small enough to fit in your one palm, white & striped brown and black.



When Auntie brought them over from the neighbour's, I was not at all interested in any of those furry things (I'm not a pet-person) but obviously, I am now. (I AM blogging about it after all)



That post-Christmas day, she brought home four kittens.



According to the PI in the family, (aka, my 9 year old cousin Josiah) one ventured out in the dark of night, when someone *most probably him* had opened the main gate and not shut it tight.



That was the last we saw of it.



The third just disappeared. (I like to imagine it's not being fattened for someone's soup ;) It was just not there anymore.



That left us with the two "who got away".



My mom was cautious with those two. They slept on some fuzzy material of some kind on our verandah. And during the night, they liked to snuggle in my slipper for warmth.



They were cute that way.



This Sunday morning, they staggered out of my slipper as normal when I came to sweep the verandah.



I didn't care if one of them moved a bit slowly than usual. 

Because usually with people it's easier to get caught up in our own problems, and we often tend to become oblivious to the truths and the pain that surround us.


I went to church and came back to find the poor kitten dead on the compound.


It's sad how things die, and because we have our own problems, we forget to mourn.


(Unless you're my aunt, who invested so much in rearing those cats. Think John West American tuna with mashed yam/rice for dinner. Oh & watered Ideal milk for breakfast. Yup! That was their average diet. Nothing special - note the sarcasm)



And now I have to dig a hole, and give it a befitting adieu. Never mind the rigor mortis that has ALREADY set in.



P.S: Our PI says it died of a broken heart. What with it's two brothers gone and all.



Life is short. Death is sudden. Prepare your souls, people. We ain't got time. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Rest

FLAWS

The Heart's Content